11) Add lots of garlic to your diet, about 2 – 3 medium sized fresh cloves a day. Garlic has lots of minerals, enzymes and amino acids, including Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and D. And it is low in calories. Garlic helps to activate your metabolism while keeping your bad cholesterol at low levels. Garlic is great for cleansing the blood and boosting the immune system.
This potent natural food has many positive health benefits, stimulating adrenaline and uncoupling proteins (UCP). Adrenaline helps break down fat in your body and burns calories. Garlic moderates cortisol levels, which prevents the “tire around the middle”, especially in men, and supports muscle retention while dieting. It fights cancer, improves heart health, boosts your immune system and helps with digestive disorders.
It is best to use fresh, organically grown raw garlic, but if you can’t handle raw garlic then use fresh bulbs in you cooking, which makes the garlic much less harsh, or give supplements a try. Aged garlic with no aftertaste is a great supplement. (Oi Y, et al., Allyl-containing sulfides in garlic increase uncoupling protein content in brown adipose tissue, and noradenaline and adrenaline secretion in rats. J Nutr 129:336-342,1999.) (Wang HX, Et al., Natural products with hypoglycemic, hypotensive, hypocholesterolemic, antiatherosclerotic and antithrombotic activities. Life Sci 65:2663-2677,1999.)
12) Drink several glasses of green tea every day. Used as medicine in China for thousands of years, green tea fights cancer and disease and slows the aging process. It contains caffeine and compounds called polyphenols such as epilgallocatechin gallate, which have been scientifically shown to increase weight loss. These special calorie destroying compounds help burn approximately an extra 100 calories a day, about the same as a brisk walk for 20 minutes. When it comes to fat loss, every calorie counts. (Dullo, A.G., et al., Efficiency of a green tea extract rich in catechin polyphenols and caffeine in increasing 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidation in humans. Am J Clin Nutr, 1999. 70(6):p.1040-5.)
13) Eat some healthy fat! To really lose weight, you have to eat fewer carbs and exercise, but on occasion and in moderation you should eat some healthy fat: 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, some red meat, walnuts or cashews. Healthy, high quality dietary fat can make your body more efficient at metabolizing and burning fat – as long as your total calories and carbohydrates remain under control, and you have sufficient fiber in your diet. (Thomas CD et al. Nutrient Balance and Energy Expenditure During the Ad Libitum Feeding of High Fat and High Carbohydrate Diets in Humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1992;55:934)
14) Your Thyroid gland plays a vital part in regulating weight loss or gain. As mentioned, when you eat less and try to lose body fat, a lot of times your body’s metabolism adapts and burns fewer calories. One way to get around the slowdown in your metabolism is with phosphates (“a mineral that, together with calcium, keeps your bones strong and healthy”). Giving 537 mgs of calcium phosphate, 107 mgs of potassium phosphate and 25 mgs of sodium phosphate to strict dieters elevated their metabolism between 12-19% more than dieters who did not use phosphates.
15) Try writing down everything you eat for every meal for a week. This is one of the most overlooked techniques in losing weight. It has been shown that people who write down what they eat for every meal make healthier diet choices, do less binge and “sneak” eating, and eat fewer calories, mainly because they are more aware of what they are eating. This gives them more control over the entire eating process, boosting self-esteem. Writing it down “keeps you honest” and is a great tool for reminding you that losing weight is a day by day process, not a quick fix.
Lose 10 Pounds Fast
It’s not magic: to lose one pound of body fat you have to take in about 500 fewer calories than you burn every day. Here are ways to increase weight loss without going on a diet.
1. For breakfast, eat an orange rather than drink a glass of juice. You’ll save about 45 calories and get the extra nutrition and fiber from the pulp. This is a very important part of your diet that you cannot neglect. Fiber is one of the most important foods for helping you lose weight, and even helps fight diseases like cancer.
2. If you eat two eggs for breakfast, remove the yolk from one of them. Instead of eating regular bacon, substitute it with Canadian bacon which has less fat and saves calories. But don’t substitute margarine for butter, which is terribly unhealthy and made with toxic, unnatural fats.