3. At lunch, eating mustard rather than mayonnaise on your sandwich saves you 100 calories (per tablespoon). Go without the cheese and save another 100 calories.
4. At McDonalds, a Big Mac and large fries has 590 more calories than a regular hamburger with no cheese and small fries. If you’re still hungry, eat a piece of fruit for dessert. The extra fiber from the fruit will help you feel less hungry, and the digestive enzymes in the fruit will help you better digest your food. It is always a good idea to eat some fruit after meals for the digestive enzymes. You will have fewer digestive problems.
5. Eat healthier foods for snacks like dried fruits and nuts, fresh fruit, cut up veggies or yogurt. I know they may not seem satisfying at first because you’re craving the trans fats and carbs, but force yourself to do it for a couple of weeks and you’ll forget about the junk food and start loving the fruits and vegetables. You would be amazed at the extent to which you can change your taste in food. after you get used to eating healthier food, going back to the junk food will make you feel sick. This will save you a huge number of calories over time.
6. Don’t skip breakfast! This will cause you to overeat later in the day.
7. Cook foods in broth instead of butter and creams (unless you are French and drink at least 2 glasses of red wine per day. Or was that per meal?) And speaking of butter: replace it with nonfat sour cream (watch for artificial ingredients) on baked potatoes.
8. Eat low fat salad dressing.
9. Do you love pasta? Eat whole grain spaghetti with marinara sauce rather than fettuccini with Alfredo sauce. You’ll be about 500 calories thinner at the end of the meal!
10. Try your best to reduce your consumption of alcohol, especially beer which is loaded with calories. Yes it can be tough, but start very slowly and gradually. Learn a few relaxation techniques like stretching and meditation. I find that 20 minutes of stretching and meditation can shave 1-2 cans of beer a day off of my daily intake. For a lush like me, that’s like giving candy to a baby.
11. Some lower quality restaurants serve massive portions so you feel you are getting your money’s worth. Because you are spending a lot of money, you feel obligated to finish all the food. Stop it. Eat only half of your meal and take the rest home for later. And again, watch those all-you-can-eat buffets, which will pack on the pounds before you can say “check.
12. Move, move and move some more. You don’t have to go to a gym and lift heavy weights or do fancy aerobic exercises. Studies show even people who garden have significant health and weight loss benefits, especially for the elderly. Walking is extremely healthy. Just move your arms and legs, bend them, dance a little jig, shadow box, feel good again in your body. Walk to the store instead of driving. Walking is one of the best exercises you can do to lose weight.
Especially up those darn stairs!
(PS. Don’t dance in the shower. It can be harmful to your health.)
13. Get more walking time by replacing work breaks with exercise breaks. Just add a little movement, a little stretching. Move your joints and muscles lightly and shake out your stress. Have you ever seen athletes warm up before a competition? Copy them. Also, use half of your lunch break to take a crisp walk with a friend.